Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Am I a Masochist at Heart?

Devil May Cry 3 has made me realize two things: Vergil is a d*ck and this game is for masochists. Seriously. I've been playing the game for a week now and I'm stuck on the 20th mission which is the third boss fight with Dante's twin brother Vergil. I mean the guy's near invincible and no amount of timing, Air Raiding, and Air Hiking I do will save me from his Yamato combos. Man, and you add the crappy camera that this game has and you're sure to get killed in the first 5-10 minutes of the fight. Even at Normal difficulty this final boss fight is difficult. I've spent more or less 2-4 hours getting killed by the guy. Well, I'm pretty sure that I'll get the hang of it if given three to four more hours but man, I'm seriously thinking that I've been a masochist all along because of this game.
The start of the fight.
That aside, my impression of the game has somewhat changed in the last week or so that I've been playing it. Seeing the game's metacritic rating I actually had low expectations of it and that's probably the reason why I enjoyed it. Of course, there's the crappy camera and the crappier backtracking segments of the game but those things aside I actually liked the idea of finishing a game that people thought was really crappy. It's really unfair to say that the game is bad as what most Steam users are saying on their reviews of the game. Most of their beef with the game was with the fact that the port was sloppily made but since I've never played the PS2 game I couldn't really offer my two cents on this issue. However I will say that I enjoyed playing Devil May Cry 3 for the PC regardless of what people are, and have been saying about it.
After 8-10 minutes Dante's life meter is nearly depleted while Vergil's is the complete opposite.
The combat system is, in my opinion, where the game truly shined. It actually takes a lot of skill and strategy to be able to beat the hordes of enemies and the bosses in this game. If they were able to fix the camera with this port as well as the gamepad and keyboard configurations then this probably would have fared a lot better. But all that's water under the bridge now and it is what it is. 
I'm never gonna rest until I beat this game, dammit!
What I could advise people who have plans in buying this game either through Steam or on PC-DVD is to lower your expectations about it. For a game that was first released in the early days of the Playstation 2, Devil May Cry 3 and its graphics have seen better days. If you're expecting it to have the same level of detail with its graphics as games released 2 or 3 years ago then you'll just be disappointed. But like what I said earlier, it is a fun game. The English voice acting was great although I would have preferred it if there was a setting to turn on Japanese voice acting on it. The fact that you need to be able to master the controls in order to be proficient at the game is a big plus for me. There are a lot of games now that just let you mash buttons and don't require any skill and strategy at all to finish. Overall, I would recommend buying this game if it were on sale on Steam or on any other service/establishment that sells it (I got mine through the Steam Capcom Sale). Would it blow your socks off? Probably not but who knows? Devil May Cry 3 just might awaken the masochist in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment