Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

The World Warrior

It's the 2nd day of the New Year and here I am writing my second post. The last couple of days had me reflecting, watching anime, and playing games (not necessarily in that order) all because I was too lazy to really do anything. Today though I'm kind of feeling a bit enthusiastic about writing so once again I hope you bear with my messy chain of thoughts.

The Street Fighter series of fighting games has influenced me a lot not just as a gamer but also a person. Street Fighter II was the first video game that I've ever played. It was also the game that got me hooked to the wonders of playing video games. Back in the early 90s the martial arts/karate era was very much in full swing. Ninja, karate, as well as shaolin kung-fu movies were really popular among kids and young adults during those days. So it's no coincidence that Street Fighter enjoyed the success it had during that time.

Street Fighter IV
Have not updated to SSFIV: AE. Still playing the hell out of SF IV while waiting for Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Another feature that made Street Fighter stand out was the number of characters that you can play and out of all these, Ryu has left the most lasting impression on me. There was a time that I thought that he was the coolest character around because of his fireballs and dragon punches. And although Ken had basically the same moves as he did, I had a better opinion of Ryu because he wore white (I kid you not!). Remember though that this was a time when I really didn't have any idea about these characters and the series in general. With later iterations and newer characters added, Ryu became just one fighter that had basic controls and a generic background story in a rapidly multiplying roster.

Ultra, Street Fighter IV, Ryu, Metsu Hadouken
Got goosebumps the first time I was able to pull off Ryu's Ultra in Street Fighter IV.

If we're talking about now, what is it that I really like about Ryu, the character? Comparing Ryu to Ken or Akuma, I couldn't help but think that he's too simple. He has really boring move sets, specials, and supers. The only thing that makes him stand out in SFIV is his Ultra, the Metsu Hadouken. His damage is so-so and he's not really that quick on his toes. He is the main star of the series right? Why is it that he's not the most powerful or flashiest moves?

With these questions in mind, I tried to research about Ryu, and his background. As a martial artist he aims to be the strongest and has abandoned worldly things just to be able to do so. He travels the world to face off against the best martial artists and at the same time control the “Dark Hadou” within him. The life that Ryu leads is a good parallel of life. Like Ryu, we also aspire to be the best at the things that we like to do. In my case, I wanted to be the best employee in the company that I was working for. Like Ryu, I had to do things out of my comfort zone and there were many instances where I ran into problems with other people or with myself. Unlike Ryu though, I didn't prevail in the “fights” that mattered. I didn't have the resolve to devote myself to the path I initially chose. I lacked the discipline and that mindset to be the best. Simply put, unlike Ryu, I wasn't strong enough to go against the challenges that came my way.

Ryu, Metsu Hadouken, Dan, Ultra Combo, Street Fighter IV
Dan sucking up all that Metsu Hadouken goodness!
My resignation from my job didn't mean that I had given up though. For as long as I'm alive I'll still continue my fight against whatever it is that life throws at me. Now though I know that I'll have to be more prepared for it. Did I do the right thing in resigning? Probably not, but that's all water under the bridge. I've no regrets and that's what's important. I'll keep on trudging and doing the things that I'm good at until I become the best in these.


No comments:

Post a Comment